Sunday, October 15

Steampunk Kokopelli



Greetings Steampunk friends! 
This month I've created a home decor piece - a steampunk inspired Kokopelli.

We love to tent camp, and when our sons were born, we started them camping as babies, and now they are adults they love to camp on their own. I bring this up because we took several trips with them to the American Southwest and many of our favorite places were the Native American sites. We learned about Kokopelli, the flute player, who is known as  a fertility god, prankster, story teller and healer. You can read much more about him HERE.

When we came back home, my husband designed and cut these Kokopelli figures out of wood. We recently found the box of them, and I've had fun starting to alter some. Of course, I had to try one in a steampunk style!!


I began by painting the wood figure with black gesso to seal it and provide a base coat.


Then, I began to add layers of colors with DecoArt's Americana Premium acrylics and a sea sponge. I started with Burnt Sienna and dabbed it on with the sponge.


Next layer - Green Gold...


then, Quinacridone Gold Hue...
Now, I have the mottled background I wanted.


Once those layers dried, I got out Andy Skinner's Incognito stencil, and using the Copper paint and a sponge, I added the gears.


I wanted to tone it down a bit, so I first rubbed on the Green Gold Fluid Acrylic with my fingers.


Next, I rubbed on the Quinacridone Gold fluid acrylic...


and my final step with the paints was to lightly spray a mist of Carbon Black.


With the background completed with the paints, the fun began! I dug into my stash of gears and cogs and bits, and started to lay out my gear design. I thought it would be fun to add the key at the top, like he could be wound up.


STEAMPUNK KOKOPELLI


I hope you've enjoyed my Kokopelli project! Please be sure to check out all of the wonderful projects from the DT and the awesome art our readers share with us. We would love for you to join us in the challenge!

If you are interested, here's the link to my Autumn/Harvest Kokopelli.

Much appreciation to our wonderful sponsors who keep the gears turning at SASPC!


            






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is so appreciated, and I love reading each and every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinterest